- Launched the Just Leaders programme.
- Completed a comprehensive desktop review of the Integration and Linkages between Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights and HIV Health Programming in South Africa for UNFPA to guide their country engagement for the next five years.
- Launched the GBV & Social Justice partnership with the Embassy of Ireland, Pretoria.
- Published Flagging Adherence: social and structural realities of adult ART adherence in South Africa by Ray Lazarus.
- Published Gender-based Justice: reflections on social justice and social change by Mary Crewe, Catherine Burns, Christi Kruger and Johan Maritz.
- Completed a contextual analysis of the intersections between HIV/AIDS, gender, GBV and sexualities: South Africa, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Mauritius and the DRC on behalf of Irish Aid. Developed policy briefs on: Understanding GBV, The Strongest Link: advantages of an intersectional approach, Managing HIV: Current evidence and new directions and More than two: understanding gender and sexualities as a spectrum. Trained health/development advisors from their missions around Africa on: HIV and its intersectionalities with gender, GBV and sexualities.
- The CSA&G was commissioned by UNFPA to support SANAC in the development of the new NSP.
- Hosted the Imagined Futures IX regional conference in Pretoria with the theme: Blessers: donors or exploiters?
- The DG Murray Trust commissioned the CSA&G to measure the knock-on effect of their Activate! programme in communities in South Africa.
- The director: Mary Crewe and deputy director: Pierre Brouard were co-chairs of the Association for the Social Sciences and Humanities in HIV (ASSHH) 3rd International Conference.
- Hosted the Imagined Futures VIII regional conference in Pretoria with the theme: Beyond the Basics.
- Hosted the successful meeting: Sexuality and human rights in Africa: contestation,
resistance and opportunity with Prof Sylvia Tamale.
- Published AIDS Review 2013: Nostalgia by Relebohile Moletsane.
- In 2011-2012 Concern Kenya contracted the CSA&G to develop and implement an adolescent life skills programme looking at HIV and AIDS, violence and substance abuse.
- Hosted the Imagined Futures VI regional conference in Gaborone, Botswana with the theme: Checks and Balances.
- FPD commissioned the CSA&G for the study: What can we learn from people living with HIV to improve HIV prevention for HIV positive and HIV negative people?
- Hosted the Imagined Futures V regional conference in Pretoria with the theme: 20/20 Vision
- Conducted a situational analysis of women’s and girl’s access to health care in Botswana, Kenya, Namibia and Tanzania. Partners in this initiative included the International Centre for Research on Women, International Community for Women living with HIV/AIDS, European Parliamentarians for Africa and the Ethical Globalisation Initiative.
- Published AIDS Review 2009: Magic by Fraser McNeill and Isak Niehaus.
- Hosted the Imagined Futures VI regional conference in Pretoria with the theme: Sexualities and Silences.
- Completed research on birth registration in Africa, and the impacts of HIV and AIDS on birth registration systems. The consequences of poor birth registration systems on children affected by AIDS were also investigated. Commissioned by UNICEF Eastern and Southern Regional Office, Plan International and World Vision International.
- Published AIDS Review 2008: Balancing Acts by Carmel Rickard.
- Hosted the Imagined Futures III regional conference in Pretoria with the theme: Positive Futures
- Completed a collaborative review, with the Children’s Institute of the University of Cape Town, on the role of HIV/AIDS in residential care, which documented issues of children in residential care facilities.
- Published AIDS Review 2007: Stigma[ta] by Patrick Eba.
- Hosted the Imagined Futures II regional conference in Pretoria with the theme: Universities as Incubators of Change.
- Completed an evaluation of the Multi-Country Life Skills Initiative (MCI) programmes within the Southern African region. Initiated by UNICEF Regional Office, Eastern and Southern Africa in eight countries .
- Published AIDS Review 2006: Bodies count by Jonathan Jansen.
- Hosted the first Imagined Futures regional conference in Pretoria with the theme: Student Leadership in a time of AIDS.
- The CSA&G was contracted by UNESCO to review the University of the West Indies’ AIDS response as part of a 12-country study.
- Published AIDS Review 2005: What’s cooking? by Jimmy Pieterse and Barry van Wyk.
- Published the extraordinary AIDS Review – Buckling: the impact of HIV/AIDS on South Africa by Hein Marais.
- Completed a review of HIV/AIDS and human rights in eight SADC countries: Botswana, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Published AIDS Review 2004: (Un)Real by Kgamadi Kometsi.
- Completed a review of the population, HIV/AIDS and development in South Africa for the National Department of Social Development in 2003.
- Published AIDS Review 2003: (Over) extended by Vannessa Barolsky.
- Published AIDS Review 2002: Whose Right? by Chantal Kisoon, Mary Caesar & Tashia Jithoo.
- Published AIDS Review 2001: Who Cares by Tim Trengove-Jones
- Won an Esselen Park HIV&AIDS Champions Award.
- Published the first AIDS Review in the series: To the edge by Hein Marais.
- The director was part of the organising committee for successful Durban International AIDS Conference and co-chair of Track D: Social Impact.
- Launched the Befriender programme – a peer counselling service.
- Centre established as the Centre for the Study of AIDS, the first dedicated centre of its kind at an African university.